Home Inspection Details
How Much Does A Home Inspection Cost?
The price of a home inspection generally starts at $325 and increases depending upon a number of factors including the location of the home and the square footage (both finished and unfinished). Some inspectors also offer additional inspection-related services such as radon testing that can affect the final cost of the inspection. When selecting a home inspector, it's important to consider a variety a factors beyond price including the credentials and reputation of the inspector, their ability to complete the inspection in the timeframe you require, and (convenience of communication/report-related factors, etc.)
What's Included in a Home Inspection?
A home is the biggest purchase most people will ever make, and a home inspection is always recommended before buying a home. It’s important to realize the condition of your investment, as well as anticipate hidden costs.
While some little quirks may be nothing to worry about, there may be more serious issues that only a professional home inspector can assess.
Understanding what to expect from a home inspection is important. Here’s some helpful information that shows you what’s covered in a typical home inspection.
- The roof coverings
- Roof penetrations and the general structure
2. ATTIC, INSULATION & VENTILATION
- Foundation areas
- Exhaust systems
- Exterior doors
- Flashing & Trim
- Patios & decks
4. BASEMENT, FOUNDATION, CRAWLSPACE & STRUCTURE
- Foundation movement
- Structural concerns
- Indication of water penetration
5 & 6. COOLING & HEATING SYSTEM
- The condition of the systems
- Location of thermostat
- Energy sources
- Type of system
- The visible portions of the fireplace & chimneys
- Damper doors
- Cleanout doors & frames
- Main water & fuel supply shut-off valves
- Water heater
- Interior water supply
- Waste & vent systems
- The service drop (where the electrical company connects to your home)
- Service head and mast
- Electrical main
- Grounding switches
- Light fixtures
- The presence of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
9. DOORS, WINDOWS & INTERIOR
- The garage door and openers